This first assignment is designed to help you learn how to navigate the WordPress course site, establish your course identity (pseudonym), and make your first blog post and comment.
Dates: January 16-19 – Due Friday January 19
Estimated Time to Complete: 3 hours total
- Instruction – 1 hour
- Assignments – 2 hours
- Successfully navigate through the course WordPress website
- Read the Syllabus
- Create your course identity
- Post your first course blog
You should be automatically enrolled in the course WordPress site.
If for some reason you aren’t enrolled yet, contact me by e-mail (email@example.com) and I will enroll you. Then check your UA email for an invitation to activate your WordPress account. Click on the link to activate your account:
Log in to the WordPress site. If you have not already done so, navigate to the How To -> Create Online Presence page, choose a “nickname” or pseudonym to use for the WordPress disussion and comment assignments. You must use a pseudonym for your WordPress activities in this course – it is a public site and I respect your privacy!
Watch the short introduction video below:
Assignments for Unit 1 – Orientation:
- Class Blog: Introduce yourself to the group! Post to “General” under Discussions. If you are not sure how to create your post, navigate to the How To page and follow the instructions therein. In this first post of the course, write about the following:
- What your interests in hazards are, by answering the following questions:
- Reason you took course?
- Which type of natural hazard do you find most interesting and why?
- Have you ever experienced a hazardous or disastrous event? Describe your experience in a short paragraph (300 to 500 words). Or, if the answer is no, describe one disaster you are particularly interested in learning about this semester.
2. Syllabus Quiz! Navigate to Blackboard and log in to the GEOS 380 course site. Upload a word or text document to the Orientation assignment answering the two questions given below. For instructions on uploading assignments to Blackboard, navigate to the How To page:
- What is the policy for late work in this class? Locate this information in the Syllabus and include it in your text file
- Write down one of the course objectives from the Syllabus.