For your second Case study, you will do the same assignments that you completed for the Unit 5 Case Study 1 but for your SECOND DISASTER CHOICE. Complete all assignments as you did for Unit 5 Case Study 1 over a similar period of time, paying attention to the due dates for each week/assignment.
Dates: March 5- April 6
Estimated Time to Complete: 31 to 32 hours total over 3.5 weeks (not counting Spring Break)
- Instruction/ Independent research – 10 to 11 hours total over 3.5 weeks
- Assignments – 21 to 22 hours total over 3.5 weeks
- Week 1 – Complete all and turn in March 16
- Spring Break is the week of March 12-16 – no new assignments will be given this week!
- Week 2 – Turn in March 23
- Week 3- Complete discussion assignment by March 30
- Report – Turn in by April 6 at 11:59pm AK time
Learning Goals for Case Study 2:
- Learn about the basic science behind your case study event through science resources and student blog posts
- Analyze the monitoring and mitigation strategies used to reduce the costs of the disaster before, during and after your case study event.
- Assess the lessons learned by the community after the disaster.
- Recommend an improvement to the community monitoring, education, preparedness, and readiness in case a similar event happens again.
- Perform a comparison between the two case studies. Demonstrate a level of understanding of two different types of hazardous events that allows for critical assessment of how the two disasters affected people similarly and/or differently.
- Teach others about your case study event through the blog posts and case study paper assignments
Short List of Assignments and Due Dates:
- Complete the Case Studies 1 week at a time! Click on the green highlighted text to go to the detailed assignment pages for each week:
- Week 1 (due March 9) – Same tasks as for CS1:
- Go to Hazard Topic page for your disaster
- Complete reading/video or module
- Complete basic science quiz (module or Blackboard)
- Complete written assignment (Backboard)
- Complete Blog post/comment assignment (WordPress)
- Week 2 (due March 23) – Same tasks as for CS1
- Go back to Hazard Topic for your disaster.
- Complete reading/video or module
- Complete written assignment (Blackboard)
- Play Stop Disasters game (or design your own for tornadoes and landslides/avalanches)
- Complete Blog post/comment assignments (summary and Stop Disasters game experience)
- Week 3 (due March 30) – Same tasks as for CS1:
- Find 3-5 resources that discuss human impacts during your disaster event.
- Complete Blog post assignment and comments
5. Week 3.5 (due April 6): First, follow the instructions on the Week 3 and Report page for completing your report (base on your work from Weeks 1-3 for your report! Read my feedback to you in Blackboard and use it to make improvements in your report).
Second – for your Case Study 2 report (5 pages), you will add an additional section (3 paragraphs) focused on comparing/contrasting your two case study events, as follows:
a. How did the impacts differ between the two because of the different causes? (ie hurricanes impact coastal areas, causing flooding – while earthquakes impact regions near a fault and cause damage due to building shaking).
b. Which of the two impacted regions was more vulnerable and why? (ie was one region “rich” and well prepared while the other was “poor” with little preparation? – or- was one disaster much larger/more violent than the other?)
c. Which of the two regions was better prepared and why? (ie was one region better monitored or were they better warned than the other?)