Week 1 Assignment – Learn the science behind the hazard and apply it to your case study
Dates: February 7 – 14
Complete all and turn in Feb. 14 by 11:59 PM
Assignment # 1 – Basic Science and Quiz – Blackboard
- Navigate to the Hazard Topic page appropriate for your case study. https://geohazards.community.uaf.edu/hazards-topics/
- Complete all reading assignments and watch videos, and/or complete external modules linked into your hazard topic content.
- Complete the basic assessment quiz for your topic by completing the module content quiz. OR – take the quiz for your hazard topic that is included in Blackboard in the event your topic did not involve an external module. Keep taking the quiz until you achieve a perfect score, and upload your score screenshots and “diploma” (if applicable) to Blackboard.
Assignment # 2 – Writing assignment – Upload to Blackboard
1. Write the answers to the following questions (make a word or pdf document or other text file) and upload to Blackboard
- Name your case study event and when and where it happened (at least 2 sentences)
- Why did you choose this particular event for your case study? (at least 3 sentences, go into a little detail)
- Write down three personal learning goals for this case study (3 to 5 sentences)
b. Hazard Setting:
- Name the plate boundary or other tectonic location where your event happened and the type of plate motion happens at this location (convergent, divergent, transform, or hot spot) (2 to 3 sentences)
- How did the tectonic setting cause your hazard? (3 to 5 sentences)
- Or – what was the regional setting for your weather-related hazard? (i.e. describe the climate setting, stream or river setting, and geographical location of your hazard in relation to specific weather phenomena)
c. Basic Science (at least 5 sentences)
- Summarize the type of event and the processes causing it (e.g., type of fault or volcanic phenomena, how a hurricane or tornado forms, what caused the flooding event, conditions leading up to wildfire, etc)
- Relative size of event and how long it lasted. (e.g., magnitude, category, Fujita scale, volcanic explosivity index, 50 or 100 year flood or wildfire acreage burned)
- Were there any additional factors that made the disaster worse? (e.g., typhoon hits during volcanic eruption, cold snap happens after earthquake, climate change makes storm more intense)
Assignment # 3 – Blog Post and Comment
1.Create a blog post to your Hazard Topic Group that briefly summarizes your week 1 work, including the following:
- Name, location, and when the disaster happened
- Type of plate boundary or basic weather process involved
- Specific type of event (type of earthquake fault, type of volcano hazard, etc).
- Most interesting thing you learned so far about the event or type of hazard.
2. Comment on another student’s post and reply to comment on your own post:
- Read the posts by each student in your hazard topic group and post a comment to at least one that asks one question about their case study based on their summary.
- If there are no other posts in your topic group, choose any post from any topic and comment on it instead.
- Read all of the questions you receive about your own blog post and answer them briefly by replying to each comment.
Stop here for Week 1