Welcome to GEOS 380 Geological Hazards!
This online course will be conducted using two platforms: WordPress and Blackboard.
A good amount of this course will be conducted on this public blog site. You are expected to participate in this public, online, learning community. Your first assignment will involve selecting a nickname (pseudonym) for use for all public activity on the WordPress site so that you can keep your identity private. Only you and the instructor will know your identity. Please contact me within one week of the start of the semester if you have concerns about this.
Public activities will include posting blogs, providing and receiving student peer feedback on your posts and those of your peers, and making assignment content publicly available for comments.
All instructor grades and feedback will be private, according to FERPA regulations. This includes grades and feedback on your discussion posts and comments.
Public WordPress Site:
- This WordPress blog site will serve as a virtual classroom:
- You will participate in discussion groups through blog posts.
- You will provide and receive feedback through comments to/from your peers.
- Blog post and comment assignments will take place on the Discussion and EOTW pages.
2. This site also contains all course resources and materials:
- Course materials and resources
- Links to resources in other online places
- Course schedule
- Private information only you can see will be available on Blackboard:
- Instructor feedback on your assignments
Rules for Good Behavior:
Blog posts and comments must be written in a positive, constructive way. Disrespectful, negative, or harshly written posts or comments will result in points taken off of your grade for that assignment. Use of inappropriate language (offensive, bad words, etc) will be dealt with by the instructor according to the UAF student code of conduct. Please review UAF’s policies for more information about proper behavior in the course setting.