- Community preparedness: Search online for the disaster preparedness or emergency preparedness information for your city, town or county/borough. Note – most of us are in Fairbanks so, to mix it up a little, if you were born or grew up somewhere else, you can use that place for your assignment.
This Assignment will be on Berks County which is in the state of Pennsylvania.
- Was it easy or difficult to find your community’s plan? Describe how long it took, or in the extreme case, that you never actually found it online.
Overall, it was fairly easy to find my state and community’s preparedness plan. I have spent time going through Berks County’s Emergency Management site before, while I looking for internships in the area. This additional time and research spent allowed me to access the site quickly. However, I believe I could have found this very fast because of how the internet works today. As long as you know what your looking for you can find it.
- Describe one thing you think shows your community is well-prepared in case of a disaster
Over that last couple of decades, communities all over the United States have become more prepared because there has been a greater emphasis on homeland security and emergency management. While communities are not perfectly prepared for every disaster they will face, they are able to learn and improve each time a disaster impacts their community. One thing I think that shows my community is well prepared is the fact that we have an emergency management office, a state preparedness plan and people working every day to better protect the communities.
- Describe one way you think an improvement could be made to your community’s plan.
What good is a plan if people don’t even know it is there? I think the largest improvement for my community is the need to get the message out. It is important to share how individual preparedness can help during a time of need and what steps everyone can take in their community to better prepare. I also think a condensed plan or version of a plan is needed. No one has time to sort through what to do in different circumstances or unique disasters. Another way to improve our communities plan is by using social media. The use of social media can allow more members of a community to be reached and allows them to see bits and pieces of the plan at a time.
- Answer the following question: Do you feel better or worse about how well your community is prepared after reading it’s plan?
I think the major players in my community are prepared and those that know and look for the preparedness information are prepared for most known hazards in the area. I feel as though the state and local government are able to respond efficiently with the information detailed in the plans, but I think the community should be more involved and a Whole Community approach is needed. Overall, the plans laid out are clear and concise and address the hazards in the area.