EOTW 10

1. Why have we not had such severe floods since 1967?

After the flood, and due to the Flood Acts of 68, money was available for the Chena River Lakes Flood Control Project which displaces water to the Tanana River when water rises. The Tanana River uses dikes to help protect Fairbanks.

1. Briefly describe at least one positive outcome that emerged as a result of the flood damage and losses.

Anytime something like this occurs, the resilience of a community is tested. Those who can weather the storm, come out more prepared in the future. Citizens raised money to assists local business, and they also helped fund the Fairbanks Memorial Hospital. The citizens took it upon themselves mostly to get back on their feet, which makes them better prepared in the future. This is always a plus.

2 thoughts on “EOTW 10”

1. I agree with you comment about how the community comes together after an event, like a flood! I also had that thought. It’s good to know people wont be totally on their own if a need arises.

2. I think it’s really cool that a group of people can come together to better their own community and make it more resilient to future disasters. Well said.

Leave a Reply